Tuesday 14 January 2014

Survived the Landing, Lukla, Himalayas, Nepal, 11th January 2014

Freezing cold and a room for less than a quid....

Having survived the landing on this mountainside airstrip (Youtube Lukla airport for those that sadly didn't) everyone is quickly ushered towards the exit gate and, well, that's it - no terminal building to go through, just a small hut for those with bags to collect and it's uphill towards a German bakery and Lukla town. Time for a few photos of other planes coming and going, quite a busy scene at this airport with room for only 4 planes at once!

Its pretty cold up here in the Himalayas, about -3 at mid-morning with those clouds getting ever closer to the town and of course the airport, got here just in time looks like. Next I need to find somewhere to stay and looking around here that shouldn't be a problem as every other building I look at advertises lodgings. A trail of people heading up past the runway, guess I should follow since they'r heading towards the main concentration of dwellings, the main part of town I should think. Icy cold and I'm quickly out of breath and actually starting to feel unwell as those stone steps are quite an effort. I read about how altitude can effect some people with symptoms of nausea and headache so at around 10,000 feet I should imagine that's what I have - altitude sickness, not a big deal, just annoying.

Kumnjung Lodge is on the left here, a nice looking place of wood construction, i'd better enquire here before I freeze to death. Gingerly walking in, it's all very quiet but eventually I find the occupants huddled around a wood burning stove. The girl is exquisitely polite and speaks perfect English - just as well since the lodge owner speaks none. "how much for a single room for to nights", I ask expecting rates to be hiked to tourist levels.  100 rupees, that's less than a quid in British terms but the catch is I have to eat there with food upto three times the price of a Kathmandu equivalent! Looks a decent enough room, and I can have an extra blanket. Deal done its quickly back to the wood burner for some defrosting and a nice cup of milk tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment