Tuesday 22 January 2013

Have a Piece of Kandy January 15th 2013

Have a piece of Kandy...

Its a 15 minute trek from the station to the lake front where a cool breeze masks the chocking, sometimes overwhelming power of traffic fumes. It's a picture postcard setting in the bright afternoon sunshine ( see photo ). A further 10 minutes of trekking and there it is, the Sanankanran Road. Its the second road on the right, well, more of a small lane really, and a steep one too. The higher the climb the more pricier the rooms since they offer a view over some of the town (according to research), but I don't care too much for aesthetics right now so let's try this one. Star Light Guest House, just about before the climb gets seriously steep. Looks tidy from the outside, so let's see what's inside. The boy, along with grandma who can't speak any English, opens up a room for one person. Nice, reasonable size, double bed, fully functioning bathroom and a fan but not worth the 2000 LKR asking price. 1700 LKR is settled, more than I wanted to pay but just sometimes pushing too hard doesn't pay off and I know further up will be more expensive. I have the room for 3 days which should be enough time here in Kandy.

Bags dumped, time for a nose-about. Suddenly, the hill isnt that steep now I don't have those two back packs  bowing to gravity. And just because I'm not paying for a place up here means I don't get to see the view. Another 10 minute hike, past those guest houses, along a dirt track and there it is - a stunning view of the lake and surrounding hills. Plenty of photos to snap here.

Could do with a cuppa tea, and I manage to wake up everyone at the high view guesthouse. Well, there is a sign saying restaurant with the best view, or something along those lines. Not my fault they want their siesta when I want a cuppa tea! Shoes off, a climb up 2 more floors and there it's is. A restaurant with a view - well for me it's a 110 LKR view as I eventually get a pot a that subtle Sri Lankan tea,  with a fine china cup and saucer, or could it have been a Chinese cup and saucer - probably!

No comments:

Post a Comment