Tuesday 4 March 2014

School times, Bima, Indonesia, February 28th 2014

Just observing real Indonesians...

The enforced splurge has resulted in a good nights sleep considering it was about -5 c with the air-con full blast, no cheap fan rooms here, still, 10 quid isn't a disaster! Breakfast is ok too -.Nasi Goreng with fried egg and coffee. Perhaps I had more than is my quota as I attempt to hide the fact I have 2 eggs!

A hike upto Dara bus station now because I need to find out about a bus that supposedly leaves at 5am in time to catch the ferry across to Labuan Bajo in Flores. To the top of Jalan Lombok and left back towards the airport. Bima isn't going to be remembered for stunning architecture but this place on the left has caught my eye, easily the nicest piece of construction I've seen. It's a school, in pink and looking very smart in the morning sunshine. Modelled on some kind of palace or perhaps a religious building, either way, puts to shame some of the drab schools seen in British cities.

My loitering at the gate is causing a stir among the kids in the playground. Time for a quick snap with the camera before the police come a take me away. About 20 kids jostling for a position in front of my camera then a teacher emerges from the school, followed by 2 more - oh dear. They beckon me into the playground pointing at the camera and actually they would like photos too. Time to hand out the last of my postcards of Norwich I think. Yes, the kids are delighted to receive a postcard of an English city.  Next I'm led into a classroom. Not to much work going on though, a couple of boys fooling around. Another class, this time all busy at work, we'll they were a moment ago anyway as my arrival is a clear distraction. An that's it as the bell rings amid squeals of delight and a mass exodus - 10.30am and school is over for the day. A delightful 30 minutes meeting kids, teachers and even the principle.

At Dara and confirmation that there is a bus going to the ferry port at Sape leaving 5am - another early start tomorrow. As for the rest of today, well, let's just wander around and watch the Indonesian people at work and play. I wonder how many 7, 8 or even 9 year old British kids would leave their Play stations, have the ingenuity to construct a kite then go and fly it? Plenty of kids flying their kites, some so high almost impossible to see, while others are claiming trees to rescue those kites that didn't make it back the earth. Another delightful few minutes watching such a carefree society.  

No comments:

Post a Comment