Monday 22 April 2013

Asia Calling, April 19th 2013

Asia's Calling...

And that was New Zealand, a country of spectacular scenery, awesome people and the most expensive food I've seen anywhere in the world - so far. The Kiwis know how to capitalise on their natural assets and solo, backpacking on foot tourists visiting here will need very big budgets, especially the thrill seekers where jumping off a bridge attached to a giant elastic band attracts some very hefty prices. That said, with a little effort and some research there are ways and means to experience New Zealand's nature totally free of charge, bypassing the dangerous pursuits of course!

And now it's time to leave on the final bus ride in New Zealand - Auckland International Airport and an Emirates Airlines Airbus 380 awaits my presence. Auckland, stopping in Sydney before the final sector to Dubai, an 18 hour trip! Then another 9 hours, with a stop in Colombo, down to Singapore and final destination, Johor Bahru, Malaysia.

The giant Airbus rolls down the runway and lifts gently into the air with very little effort compared to some flights this trip. Its all at night so nothing to do but nap, eat, nap again and so it go's on - 3 hours to Sydney then 14 hours to Dubai.

Dubai, Colombo then Singapore and hopefully I should just make the last bus out to Johor Bahru - if that all fails then I'm basically up the creek without a paddle! So, another 9 or so hours on a plane, ready for the second breakfast of the day.

It's like clockwork, immigration at Singapore, a smooth run. Maybe because I'm just in transit, no interrogation and just a polite nod and I'm in. Looks like I'll have plenty of time to get that last bus to Johor.

Next...faced with a night at the airport,  where is that bus?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the warning about New Zealand's having the most expensive food in the world. I was in Sydney a few years back and I ate out mostly for the week I was there. The unfavourable exchange rate did me no favours. And in May 2017 I went to Perth and stayed in an Airbnb property in Victoria Park area. Dorm beds was AUD 15 (had the room to myself). The fully equipped kitchen enabled me to cook most of my meals. The previous Malaysian family who stayed there left behind a lots of food. That was a life saver for me. So all in all, I had a great trip but prices of food and sundries were horrendous from a Malaysian POV. Nevertheless, I just can't wait to go back again.
    Some tips though. My homestay is just behind a supermarket and I can get cheap stuff food stuff close to closing time. I can also reuse my bus tickets if I travel in the same time zone within the 2 hours limit. I really like to read about how you try to economise and not splash out money for overpriced attractions. Great advise if I ever get to Kiwiland. Going to Melbourne in March 2017 by Air Asia. Really love to go to Nepal but haven't got round to reading your Nepal thread. Trying not to travel too much this year and saving for places a little further away like Kathmandu. Cheers

    ReplyDelete