Tuesday 23 April 2013

Wrong Bus, Wrong Place, Johor Bahru, April 21st 2013

Lost ticket, wrong bus, wrong place..

The commute back to Johor should be pretty straight forward - simply the same route backwards, same buses hopefully. Bus back to Boon Lay MRT, the train across to Jurong East, line interchange for the train to Kranji from where the mad Johor commute begins with bus 170. Hundreds of people with the same idea, all locals queueing to get out of Singapore out of on a wet Sunday afternoon as bus after bus rolls up and rolls out.

Singapore Woodlands checkpoint and the rush towards passport control begins in earnest, swept up in a tide of unstoppable movement. Another exit stamp and a fast trott though the green lane looking straight ahead trying not to make eye contact with the guards - for some reason I always seem to have a guilty conscious at this point. Joining the tide of movement again down towards the bus stands and onto the 170, engines running, about to leave.

Some interrogation at the Malaysian checkpoint - I was half expecting some inquisition about my frequent comings and goings at some stage, this is it. With the most honest face I could conjure up and with a slight smile, my explanation of being a tourist to see the sights of Singapore, but from the amazing county of Malaysia seemed to suffice, for now anyway and another entry stamp granted.

Down to the bus stands and the 170 was there, but the driver has changed which I thought was a little unusual, oh well, better jump on the bus - I can't find my ticket, that's another 30p to fork out! It's becoming apparent this bus isn't going to Kotoraya in downtown Johor as the motorway exit passes away to the left and the bus speeds on. About 20 minutes and the bus pulls into a rather large station full to bursting of interstate coaches, causeway links, Changi Airport Express and quite a few taxi's. It's the JB Larkin Terminal as the bus pulls into a bay and ends the journey.

Well, since I'm here lets grab some food and consider how I could have made such a simple mistake - a bit like those failed contenders at the Bridge Street Cafe on the BBC's version of the Apprentice I suppose! Well, obviously bus 170 has 2 different routes to completely opposite ends of Johor Bahru and visiting tourists, especially jet lagged ones like me are not likely to know this - finding out the hard way I suppose is part of the adventure. Problem now is getting back to Kotoraya, hopefully avoiding a taxi ride.

Frustratingly, everyone I ask for advice is biased towards the taxi cab. 15 Ringitt negotiated, that's too much since I only paid 14 a few hours ago and that was with an unsocial hours premium. 20 Ringitt from a metered taxi, again that's too much and I still have time on my side for a little more investigation - perhaps a local bus outside. Eventually, success as I am directed to stands 18 to 20 and buses to downtown Johor Bahru. It's always pleasing to avoid a taxi ride, and today a little perseverance has paid off.

30p for the local bus which seems to take in a couple of laps around the CBD before letting anyone off. About an hour of daylight left, might as well look around downtown JB, because from first impressions I see vibrancy and quaintness is one small hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment