Friday 8 February 2013

Back to School, Dambatenne January 26th 2013

Back to school ...

The last full day in Ella and with a mission planned - back to school. Dambatenne is calling and this time with something for the kids, a school pen. Yes, that's the first thing they asked for last time, a simple pen for school, so last night in Bandarawela I bought 100 at just 5p each. Could also try again for Liptons Seat, but the clouds have already closed in at 9am, not too hopeful.

Standing room only to Bandarawela, hopefully a seat on the next bus because that road seems particularly bumpy, narrow with a steep drop into the valley below! The Dambatenne bus is there waiting for passengers, not many so I grab a seat by the window. Great visibility this time, right across the landscape and down into the valleys. in-fact the clouds have completely disappeared, mental preparation for the 7km hike up begins, but first School!

School is in full swing with teacher and kids in the yard. No tarmacked playground just a  reddish dusty, baron piece of ground. So, this class is about to be disrupted since everything from now on is spontaneous. The teacher recognises me from my last visit and smiles as I approach his  class, the kids with  puzzled looks, gathered in a semicircle. "hi, I've got school pens, school pens"' I explain and proceed to open a box. Immediately there is disorder as the kids all pile in for a school pen. The kids are strictly brought to order and back off a little as the teacher explains what's going on. He tells the kids that I was here a few days ago taking some photos but didn't have anything to leave and so today have returned to leave a few pens.

It's a small gesture, almost insignificant compared to what these Kids really need, but all the same they are extremely grateful as one by one they take their pen. And so to see those little faces beaming and to here those sincere thank you's is something to cherish for a long time. The teacher says I will get a letter in the post and asks for my Uk address. Actually, I have another box, another 50 to hand out, and so I am led to another class, this time in a room at lessons and it starts all over again. A little gift from the United Kingdom puts a smile on a few more young Sri Lankan faces.

No comments:

Post a Comment