Sunday 17 February 2013

Penang Full Up, February 4th 2012

Penang, Pearl of the Orient

Landing 20 minutes early, a better chance of getting the last bus into Georgetown. A major revamp of this airport was underway last time and it's looking pretty good - a rival to any modern airport around the world, now. About 20 minutes from plane to bags and outside in the warm humid drizzle. A few others are there at the bus stand, so there must be a bus on the way, hopefully, otherwise it's another fleecing from the local taxi driver I fear.

40 Minutes and the 401E pulls in. The aircon is quite harsh, windows all steamed up. Same bus number, same price for the 40 minute ride into the capital, just 70 p. Same price too for the single room at the Banana guesthouse, trouble is they are full. Next door is full, infact the whole area is full up. Oh dear, this could get rather expensive as visions of the only bed in town is going to be somewhere like the Savoy! 11.30p and the only bed I can find is in a dorm on Love Lane, oh nice! Sharing with snoring, and noisy drunken Europeans was not a great prospect but will little choice in the matter I reluctantly accept, and it was only 18 RM, about £4.50.

As it turns out, I managed some decent sleep thanks in part to some good earplugs and a makeshift curtain I was able to use to block out lights. My bags are still here, that's a good start, well, I did chain them to the bed and put the alarm on, but of course determined thieves can be clever ones too. Priority now is to hang around and wait for a room at Banana guesthouse. Backpackers are shipping out all the time, so I'm confident of securing a room before midday, if not its another night in Love Lane.

I have the room, same price as last year too and waving good bye to Love lane I settle the bags in and set off for my favourite cafe - jaya. Prices here too have stayed the same, and the food as good as ever. Yes, back in Penang for several good reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment